When are building permits required?
Permits are required for new construction, additions, alterations, remodeling, repairs and demolition. You do not need a building permit to do the following. Note: The following items are not exempt if the property is located within a flood hazard area.
- One-story detached accessory structures provided the floor area does not exceed Two Hundred (200) square feet. Make sure you are aware of your setback requirements from property lines.
- Fences not over six (6) feet high.
- Retaining walls that are not over four (4) feet in height measured from grade on the exposed side to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
- Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to one 1.
- Platforms, walks and driveways not more than 30 inches above grade and not over any basement or story below, unless the sidewalk or driveway is in the City Right of Way.
- Painting, papering, tiling carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
- Above ground prefabricated swimming pools.
- Swings and other playground equipment.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
- Replacement of siding on single family dwellings.
- Replacement of like roofing materials on single family dwellings.
- Gutters, downspouts, and storm windows.
- Window replacement where the rough opening is not altered.
You can contact the Spearfish Building Department at 605-642-1335 if you have any questions or if you think you need a building permit.
CLICK HERE FOR A PRINTABLE DOCUMENT