Storm Water / Grading Permits

Request email notification when page changes E-Notify

Spearfish Storm Water Management Plan
Grading Permit Form

Anyone wishing to report an illicit discharge of polluted storm water into one of the City’s drainages, or if you have any comments, concerns or suggestions in reference to Storm Water, please call, fax or write Robert Glenn at the Public Works Department:

Robert Glenn
Utilities Superintendent / MS4 Coord.
City of Spearfish
625 5th Street
Spearfish, South Dakota 57783
Office: 605-642-1333
Fax: 605-642-1337


City of Spearfish 
Grading and Erosion Control Ordinance

Who does it affect?                                                  Effective Date: March15, 2007

Currently the State of South Dakota and the US EPA requires anyone who will be disturbing one acre or moreto have a Storm Water Permit through this state. They are also required to have a Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) to show how they will be control sediment runoff and other pollutants from leaving the property.  The City of Spearfish ordinance will also require a Grading Permit and a review of the SWPPP by Public Works Staff before any grading begins.

Those who are disturbing land from 1000 square feet to one acre do not need a Storm Water permit through the State but will be required to have a Grading Permit through the City of Spearfish. Those disturbing ½ to 1 will need to have a Grading and Erosion Control Plan (GECP) (also reviewed by staff) to show how they will be control sediment and other pollutants on the property where the grading is taking place.

“EXEMPT” Activities for Grading Permit:

  • Any emergency activity that is immediately needed for the protection of life, property, or natural resources.
  • Any nursery and agricultural operations as permitted main or accessory use.
  • Land disturbing activity less than 1000 square feet.

Exempt activities do not require a permit but are required to apply responsible erosion controls as needed and are subject to penalties set forth in the code of ordinances.

If project requires a Grading Permit and a Building Permit is also required, Grading Permit will need approval before building permit will be granted.